Discussion 6

A. Discuss the role visual elements have in 1 of the additional poems you chose. Since others may have not read the poem, this is a post in which you should also provide some brief description or summary of the poem. Make a citation for the poem. Wednesday

B. Read and respond to another student’s Discussion A. Sunday

49 thoughts on “Discussion 6

1. In the poem “Romantic Moment”(672) author Tony Hoagland uses examples of animal affection to describe the second date of humans. As the romantic partners are holding hands on a bench he is thinking of the different things animals would be doing by this stage of a relationship. Penguins vomiting in the mouth of the prospective lover, aggression of a chimpanzee, or the Brazilian leopard frogs embrace with its tongue. By using different images of what animals do it makes the nervous actions of humans early on in relationships seem silly. The courting is fun but there is an underlying need for physical contact that the author illustrates in a very interesting way.

Hoagland, Tony. “Romantic Moment.” Literature and the Writing Process. 10th ed. Eds. E. McMahan, et al.. Boston: Pearson, 2014. 672. Print.

1. I thought this poem was kind of funny. Since animals also have to mate as people do it makes since that they also flirt.:)

2. How did I miss this hilarious poem? I kept visualizing the images that the speaker described. I appreciate your explanation for the author’s illustration through his words. I agree, it is a very unorthodox way to compare human and animal nature when it comes to courting. However, it was very entertaining and left me giggling at the images in my head.

2. I chose the poem “Richard Cory” (674) written by Edwin Arlington Robinson, because I feel like many of us think this particular way. Everyone looked at him and assumed he was the happiest man alive because he was richer than a king and just perfect from head to toe whenever he was out on the town. People wished that they could be him, but he was not as happy as everyone thought because one summer night he decided to put a bullet through his head. This reminds me of people who want to be famous so bad, to live the life of luxury and be rich. People who say I wish I was Beyonce or Peyton Manning or whoever. Everyone has their demons rich people do to.

Robinson, Edwin. “Richard Cory.” Literature and the Writing Process. 10th ed. Eds. E. McMahan, et al.. Boston: Pearson, 2014. 674. Print.

1. For some reason I missed this poem. I totally agree with your point of view. People that are live in luxury and are rich are not as happy as they may seem. And here other people look up to those that are famous and envy them as they think the richness keeps them happy. For an example with Robin Williams, he seems like a funny happy guy in public, but behind closed doors he was depressed just like the guy in this poem.

3. I chose “That Time of Year Thou Mayst in Me Behold” because of the way that the visual references in the poem lend themselves so well to its interpretation. In the lines, “That time of year thou mayst in me behold/ When yellow leaves, or none, or few do hang” (583) Shakespeare is revealing the age of the poet and comparing it to a tree that is at the end of its life. With, “Bare ruined choirs, where late the sweet birds sang./ In me thou see’st the twilight of such a day,” again Shakespeare shows us that the poet is in the final twilight of his life. There is then two allusions to death as blackness as the sun fades and as night itself. Shakespeare then compares youth and fire and how once a fire has consumed or been nourished by the fire of youth, then it expires. The young man whom the poet is writing to realizes the fleetingness of life and youth and this makes his love for himself and for the poet that much stronger.
    Works Cited
    Shakespeare, William. “That Time of Year Thou Mayst in Me Behold.” Anthology of Poetry. 10th ed. Eds.
    E. McMahan, et al.. Boston:Pearson, 2014. 638. Print.

1. I love the way you interpreted this poem. Shakespeare is sometimes hard to read but the way you picked it apart makes perfect sense to me. Thank you for sharing!

4. The poem “She Walks in Beauty” by George Gordon caught my eye and attention because of the first line. “She walks in beauty like the night” (594 Gordon). The poem is about a woman that is not named but her features are well described. Gordon uses visual elements when he compared light and dark throughout the whole poem. As a reader, I imagined this women to be visually beautiful but also have features that were attractive such as being “innocent”. Gordon compares the woman to the night and no clouds in the sky which told me that she has a dark side to her looks and life, until I re-read the poem a few times. I enjoy looking at the starry skies and love when my night sky is cloud free because it isn’t dark, it is rather lit up and beautiful just as the women is described. When Gordon uses visual elements using words such as “tender light” and “heaven” I picture the woman to be very angelic. I pictured this woman to have two sides to her just as most of us do, until I realized some of the words he used were dark words but with very bright meanings.

Works Cited.
    Gordon, George. “She Walks in Beauty.” Anthology of Poetry. 10th ed. Eds.E. McMahan, et al.. Boston: Pearson, 2014. 594. Print.

1. I also read and reread this poem and enjoyed it very much. I think that there is a little bit of a dark side to this woman but that is also part of her beauty. There is nothing better then a cloudless night. If it is watching the aurora or gazing at the stars we all want a beautiful clear picture of the unknown.

5. For my poem, I was drawn to “Beauty and Sadnes” by Kathy Song because I am interested in anything concerning Japanese culture and my major was almost Japanese. This poem is intriguing because of the description of the author for the painting. She describes the feeling and the presentation of the painting, the detail Kitagawa Utamaro took to illustrate the every day life of a woman of the Night. How three dimensional she describes a two dimensional object that sounds like it is more of a modern day photograph than a simple Nishiki-e print. There is always a moment of sadness in such beauty with women of this era and the author emphasizes this in her descriptions of their faces, and how she interprates Utamaro’s depiction of them.
    Citation:
    Song, Cathy. “Beauty and Sadness” Literatyure and the Writing Processu. 10thed. Eds. E. McMahan, et al. Boston: Pearson, 2014. Print

1. I agree, I really liked that poem as well. It seems that there was a sadness in the women in the print, but they must have also experienced great pride in their perfection and the honor that comes with performing your duty.

6. I have chosen Billy Collins “Introduction to Poetry” because it is the essence of what we are trying to do. At least what I am trying to do. Collins uses great visual metaphors to describe the craft of reading a poem the correct way. He also adds at the end how students read and try to interrupt a poems meaning. I like he metaphor, “walk inside the poem’s room and feel the walls for a light switch.” (708). On the other hand I find myself, “begin beating it with a hose to find out what it really means.” (708) approach on deciphering the poem. There are so many different ways to read and analyze a poem to figure out the authors intent. I hope that this poem might help me look at a poem differently next time. Putting away the HOSE!!!

Collins, Billy.”Introduction to Poetry.” Literature and the Writing Process. 10th ed. Eds. Elizabeth McMahan, et al.. Boston: Longman, 2013. 708. Print.

1. I did not see this poem and I am so glad I saw your post and went and read it! I am having my own difficulties introducing myself to poetry. Sometimes i just completely miss the interpretations that an author is making or the metaphor. It is hard for me to not just read the words on the page as “words”. I have to constantly decode and unlock the message which can be frustrating for me. I would love to beat the dang poem with a hose to find out what it really means! Fabulous poem, and I can’t agree more.

7. Artist and poet, William Blake, wrote a beautiful poem about “The Sick Rose” in 1794. He spoke of a worm that found a rose and destroyed it when he said, “The invisible worm That flies in the night” (591). Or was this a metaphor for a girl whose love interest made her sad? For me, this question came at the end when Blake said, “And his dark secret love Does thy life destroy” (591). Our text includes a piece of art that the poet himself created. The poem is written on the art and is surrounded by thorny stems. I found the visual art fitting for the poetic art because the visual art does not depict a beautiful or gaudy rose, but in fact a small fragile one. Due to the poet’s artistic talents we are able to see a unique blend of visual art and poetic art by the same person.

Work Cited
    Blake, William. “The Sick Rose.” Literature and the Writing Process. 10th ed. Eds. E.
    McMahan, et al.. Boston: Pearson, 2014. 591. Print.

8. I chose the poem “the lesson of the moth” by Don Marquis. This poem is about a conversation with a moth, and answering the question of why moths like to incinerate themselves. I liked this poem because of the abrupt way the lines are written, it makes the poem feel more in the moment. “[I]t is better to be happy / for a moment / and be burned up with beauty/ than to live a long time / and be bored all the while” (704). This passage to me brings a visual element of happiness, people living in the moment and not sweating the small stuff.

Marquis, Don. “the lesson of the moth.” Literature and the Writing Process. 10th ed. Eds. E. McMahan, et al. Boston: Pearson, 2014. 703-704. Print.

1. I agree that the words do bring the idea of living in the moment to my mind. I also agree with what the moth says about being part of something beautiful at least once, even if it means your end.

9. I chose the poem “”Marks” (Pastan 705) because of how she describes the way her family grades her. The way the family grades her reminds me of how sometimes I feel like I’m being graded by my family. The low marks she seems to get from all of them might be the reason that in the end of the poem she says, “I’m dropping out” (12). It’s like she is saying that since she is so under-appreciated by them, that she really has no reason to stay anymore. I know that it isn’t just women who feel like that sometimes because why would anyone want to stay around people who bring make them feel unworthy?

Pastan, Linda. “Marks.” Literature and the Writing Process. 10th ed. Boston: Pearson, 2013. 705. Print.

1. I really like this poem! I read your post, then read it out of the book. It’s so true how we are all judged or “graded”, whether it be by our families or just random people. It never feels good to be look at poorly. I really enjoyed your post.

1. What do you mean editors’ names are missing? You’ve never stated this before so all my citation look like that one.

10. In the poem “Pied Beauty”(604) by Gerard Manley Hopkins conveys his message of praising the Lord for his creation through the use of imagery. He describes everything that the lord has created, in such literary terms as to make them seem perfectly visible. His writing is so explicitly in-depth that if the reader were to close their eyes, and have the poem read to them they would be able to see it in their mind. He is truly is amazing with his writing, phrases such as “for skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow”(line 2, 604). He wrote that phrase to describe the dappled clouds on the sky. His style of writing is extraordinary, he uses such words of adoration for The Lord and his creation.

Manley Hopkins, Gerard. “”Pied Beauty”” Literature and the Writing Process. 10th Ed. Eds. E. McMahan, Et Al.. Boston: Pearson, 2014. 674. Print

11. Of all of Shakespeare’s work I have only found a few that I can truly understand without having to throw my book down in frustration.
    I really enjoy his sonnet: “Let Me Not to the Marriage of True Minds”. The poem is talking about loving someone through their entire lifetime. Even if they grow old with age, or made a mistake. I love the metaphor being used here as the speaker talks about “marriage of true minds” (Shakespeare 582) which is defined as true love. When the speaker sees love, he sees it as two minds coming together as one and willing to think in a marriage. He is saying that not all marriages are driven by hormones, but by two composed individuals.

Shakespeare, William. “Let Me Not to the Marriage of True Minds”. Literature and the Writing Process. 10th ed. Eds. E. McMahan. et al. Boston: Pearson. 2014. 582-583. Print.

1. I have a hard time with Shakespeare’s work as well, so I am glad that you were able to discover the meaning of the poem. After reading it with your insights I was able to enjoy it too!

2. I feel the same way about Shakespears work. I usually try to steer clear of it because I get frustrated with it. I read this poem but still, with it being Shakespeare, didn’t understand it. Your explanation of it though helps me understand it a whole lot better.

12. I choose the poem “The World Is Too Much with Us” by William Wordsworth. Wordsworth starts off the poem by stating “the world is too much with us, late and soon” (593). When I read this I thought about the world changing into a different culture because he says “late and soon” meaning later in society and living life now. We live a very different life than when the world first came. “Little we see in Nature that is ours” (593). We look little into what nature has to offer and the world has lost it’s connection with our natural surroundings outside. Today’s society is leaning more towards the modern age with more technology and less towards the outside world.

William Wordsworth. “The World Is Too Much with Us.” Literature and the Writing Process. 10th ed. Eds. E McMahan. et al. Boston: Pearson, 2014. 593. Print.

1. I find it interesting that the poet was writing about our societies getting farther from nature even back int he 1800s. I wonder what he would think of today’s society.

13. I choose the poem “We Wear the Mask” (609) by Paul Laurence Dunbar. I choose this poem because it describes everyone at one point or another at one point in their lives. “We wear the mask that grins and lies / It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes.” This is my favorite two lines of the whole poem because it gives us a clear image of how people that have something important going on in there lives they still manage to put on a brave face and smile because they don’t want the world to see the pain and hurt they are feeling. It describes how even though we want to cry we smile. Everyone puts on a mask to hide their feelings at one point or another. I know I do it a lot. Even though I’m smiling and laughing and seem to be happy, deep down I want to cry and scream however I don’t want the world to see so I hide it behind the mask of happiness.

Dunbar, Paul Laurence. “We Wear the Mask.” Literature and the Writing Process. 10th ed. Eds. E. McMahan, et al. Boston: Pearson, 2014. 609. Print.

14. As the romantic partners are holding hands on a bench he is thinking of the different things animals would be doing by this stage of a relationship. Penguins vomiting in the mouth of the prospective lover, aggression of a chimpanzee, or the Brazilian leopard frogs embrace with its tongue. By using different images of what animals do it makes the nervous actions of humans early on in relationships seem silly.
    https://richestsoft.com/top-mobile-app-development-companies-in-india.html

15. Vision blinds are offering a double layer fabric with translucent and blackout or light filtering color with an eye-catching stylish model which is best suited for the modern accomplished home keeping privacy on and at the same time outside view from inside by Australian Window Covering service.

Leave a Reply to Graysonau Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *