Syllabus

Course Description:

This course provides practice in writing for an academic audience, using literature as a subject for analysis and research.

English 211 is a writing-intensive course, so you will write a lot. You will also read a lot, and some of what you read you will examine closely and from different perspectives. You are expected to express your own thoughts about what you read, inquire from a variety of sources, and develop reasoned and pleasing essays using the resources in the textbook.

This course is organized around genre, but all assignments will circle back to previous readings. Save all of your work until you receive your final grade.

Textbooks & Materials:

McMahan, Elizabeth, et al., eds. Literature and the Writing Process. 10th ed. Boston: Pearson/Longman, 2014. Print.

Course Goals & Student Outcomes:

The goal of this course is to practice close reading with a variety of literary genres and criticism and responding to these forms of writing for exploration, for pleasure, and for academic contribution. You will demonstrate your ability to reach these goals through participation in online discussion, directed informal exercises, 3 short papers, and 1 research paper.

Instructional Methods and Technical Competencies:

This is an online course through UAF eCampus and Distance Education.  It combines readings in the texts, online essays, and online assignments. Because of the online nature of the course, students are required to have easy access to a computer with word processing capabilities and regular access to the Internet.

Course Schedule:

See Fall 2014 English 211 Schedule of Assignments:

Classroom Policies, Participation, and Late Work:

Although this is a distance course, there are regular weekly deadlines that students must meet.  Please see the course schedule for deadlines.   Participation is crucial, and late work is not accepted.

Plagiarism and Academic Integrity:

Any plagiarism or other academic dishonesty will be met with an automatic F in the course.  If you use the language, images, video, or work of another person you MUST cite your sources.  There are no exceptions to this rule.  If you do not understand what it means to “cite’ work, please let the Instructor know.

Honesty is a primary responsibility of you and every other UAF student.  Alleged violations of the Code of Conduct will be reviewed in accordance with procedures specified in Regents’ policy and UAF regulations.

Grading Policies:

*Students have until September 19th to drop the course with no reflection on transcripts; after that, students can withdraw from the course until October 31st, resulting in a “W’ grade on transcripts.

*Incompletes are given only in cases of medical or familial emergencies.  Late work is not accepted without communication with the Instructor.

* Students should receive a grade and feedback within 7 days of submission for each assignment.

UAF Writing Center:

Students can receive writing practice and tutoring on the 8th floor of the Gruening Building. Writing Center hours and information.

UAF Student Support Services:

The Student Support Services (SSS) program, located in 512 Gruening Building, provides opportunities for academic development, assists students with college requirements, and serves to motivate students towards the successful completion of their degree program. Contact them at (907) 474-6844.

Students With Disabilities:

UAF has a Disability Services office that operates in conjunction with the UAF Community and Technical College.  Disability Services, located in 208 Whitaker Building, provides academic accommodations to enrolled students who are identified as being eligible for these services.   If you believe you are eligible, please visit https://www.uaf.edu/disability on the web or contact CTC’s Student Assistance and Advising Center at (907) 455-2800.  You can also contact Disability Services on the Fairbanks Campus at (907) 474-5655.

Tech Help from UAF eCampus:

You can get technical help from the eCampus  by going to https://distance.uaf.edu/students/getting-help/.

51 thoughts on “Syllabus

1. I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save
    you a lot of work, there is an online tool that creates high quality, SEO
    friendly articles in minutes, just search in google
    – laranitas free content

2. Hi there! I’m at work suyrfing around your blog from my new iphone 3gs!
    Just wanted to say I love reading through your bloig and look forwaqrd to all your posts!
    Keep up the outstanding work!

3. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This iis a really well written article.
    I’ll make sure to bookmark it and return to read
    more of your useful information. Thanks for tthe post. I will
    definitely return.

4. Hi, I think your website could be having web browser compatibility problems.

Wheen I take a lokok at your web site in Safari, it looks fine however, when opening in I.E., it’s got sokme overlapping issues.
    I simply wanted to give you a quick heads up! Apart
    from that, fantstic blog!

5. Hi it’s me, I am also visiting this website daily, this website
    iss actually nice and the visitors are actually sharing
    fastdious thoughts.

6. Whats up this is kind off of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG edigors orr if you have to manually code with
    HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get
    advice from someone with experience. Any help would be enormoysly appreciated!

7. It’s remarkable to pay a visit this web site and reading the views of all
    friends about this paragraph, while I am also keen of getting
    knowledge.

8. Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts aas long as I provide credit and
    sources back to your website? My blog is in the exact same area of interest as yours and my users would genuinely benefit from some of
    the information you provide here. Please let me know if this ok with you.

Thank you!

9. Great goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too wonderful.

I actuaqlly like what you have acquired here, certainly
    like what you’re stating and the way in whic you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care
    for to keep it smart. I can not wait to read far more
    from you. This is actually a tremendous website.

10. however, it goes on to further define this word as, “the image or personality that a person presents to other people.” I enjoy the combination of the two definitions because a poem is not meant to be only consumed. We truly need to take it in to

11. Your example shows exactly why it is so important to consider persona and not be bound by the idea that a speaker and its poet are the same. Dickinson has a lot of poems about the sea. Erin, you can think about persona in prose as well, and I wonder whether persona can be a way to probe third-person narration, for example. It will be interesting to think about persona when we study Drama too!

12. I choose the word explication as my word to learn more about because I have never heard of the word before. Explication comes from the verb to explicate, which is the process of “unfolding” and “making clear” the meaning of things. An explication cannot be true or false, just more or less suitable for it’s purpose. When working with explications you have to be clear with whether you are dealing with the process or the outcomes of the process. In poetry explications, it takes readers through the poem, explianing what the poem is about, it’s meaning , and the way in which the structure shapes what the poem is about and it’s meaning.

13. Epiphany, I chose to write about the word epiphany but I just like to pronounce it. Its one of those funny words that kind of roll off your tongue. An epiphany is an experience of sudden and striking realization. Epiphanies are relatively rare occurrences and generally follow a process of significant thought about a problem. When you have a problem that you have been working on for quite sometime and then suddenly the answer hits you. That is a epiphany, kind of frustrating when its actually a simple solution and you just couldn’t think of it right away.

14. Plasma therapy has revolutionized the medical world with the claim of “surgery without the need for skin incisions.” In this method, it is enough to anesthetize the desired area locally. Recovery time in plasma therapy is much shorter than surgery. Plasma therapy has many uses, including skin rejuvenation and lift, tattooing, and spider vein treatment.

Leave a Reply to https://www.yellowpages.com Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *